Drupal 8.0, xxxx-xx-xx (development version)
- Added Twig as the default template engine and converted all .tpl.php templates
- Added tour module. Provides highly contextual tips for UI elements.
- Improved entity system.
* Added support for saving and deleting entities through the controller.
* Entities are now classed objects, implementing EntityInterface.
* Drupal now understands the concept of a "default" revision, tracked
independently from the latest revision, allowing for the creation of
drafts while the current revision stays published.
* All entity types, not just nodes, now have support for revisions.
- Replaced the core routing system with one built on the Symfony2 framework.
* Added a centralized file-based configuration system.
* Allows module authors to provide configuration in a standard format.
* Implements functionality to get, set, add and remove configuration.
* Includes ability to override configuration values with language variants
and other runtime values.
- Added the CKEditor WYSIWYG editor. Provides a drag-and-drop configuration UI.
- Included the HTML5 Shiv library to support HTML5 elements in IE 8 and below.
- Included the following Symfony2 components:
* ClassLoader - PSR-0-compatible autoload routines.
* DependencyInjection - Flexible dependency injection container.
* EventDispatcher - Object-oriented lightweight event handling system.
* HttpFoundation - Abstraction objects for HTTP requests and responses.
* HttpKernel - Core system for managing incoming HTTP request and responses.
* Process - Allows for executing commands in a sub-process.
* Routing - Framework for mapping incoming requests to controller
* Yaml - Parser for YAML files.
- Included the Assetic asset management framework for PHP.
- Support added for making HTTP requests through a proxy server.
- Removed modules from core.
* The following modules have been removed from core, because contributed
modules with similar functionality are available:
* PHP Filter
- Removed the Overlay module from core.
- Removed the Garland theme from core.
- Removed the Statistics module's accesslog functionality and reports from core.
- Removed backwards-compatibility with 'magic_quotes_gpc'/'magic_quotes_runtime'
PHP configuration settings. Both are required to be disabled.
- Universally Unique IDentifier (UUID):
* Support for generating and validating UUIDs.
* Updated to jQuery 2.1.0
* Updated to jQuery UI 1.10.2
* Removed jquery.bbq
- Tremendously improved language support all around.
* Great language improvements for users:
* Improved language selection with user preference detection in the
* Moved base language support to Language module.
* Greatly simplified the interface for setting up languages.
* Improved browser language detection considerably.
* Language domain and path prefix configuraton simplified and centralized;
path prefix detection is now default.
* Added HTML 5 language markup; language information added in markup in
several more places.
* Made it possible to assign external language codes to local languages.
* Introduced the possibility of an administration-specific language
preference for users.
* Simplified and added new features in interface translation:
* Made interface translation directly accessible from language list.
* Centralized interface translation import to one directory.
* Drupal can now be translated to English and English can be deleted.
* Much improved built-in translation interface.
* Added support for singular/plural discovery and translation.
* Customized translations are tracked so your modifications can
be identified and protected from translation update overwrites.
* All Gettext files are now imported in chunks, better for low resource
* Improved content language support:
* Made it possible to assign language to taxonomy terms, vocabularies,
menu items, and files.
* Added a field translation based content translation module that applies
to all content entities.
* Removed the old node-copy based content translation module.
* Introduced language defaults configuration for each entity type and
* Added entity language variance support to search module.
* Search indexing and query preprocessors now get language information.
* Unified content translation permission granularity with content editing
* Made the language selector freely orderable in entity forms.
* Better configuration language support
* Added language selectors to most configuration options (views, menus,
* Added a configuration translation user interface that works with any
configuration with translatable values (blocks, views, fields, etc).
* Added language options to block visibility.
* Much improved language APIs for developers:
* Added simple APIs and hooks to save/delete/update languages.
* New Language class wraps language information, used universally.
* Unified database schemas and APIs to make it easier to spot where
language codes are referenced.
* Made the language negotiation system APIs more consistent for
* Made it possible for users to have a preferred language separate from
their user entity language.
* Added support for interface translation contexts in Drupal.t(),
Drupal.formatPlural() as well as routing, tabs, actions, and contextual
* Removed textgroups support from interface translation in favor of
native configuration language support.
* Added configuration schema system to support generating translation
forms for any configuration.
* Reworked Gettext PO support to use pluggable read/write handlers.
* Added language select form element in the Form API.
- Added E-mail field type to core.
- Added Link field type to core.
- Added Phone number field type to core.
- Added local image input filter, to enable secure image posting.
- Added Views and Views UI module to core.
- Added Entity Reference field type to core.
- Added Date field type to core.
- Added a Web Services module package.
* Added a RESTful web services provider module.
* Added a serialization module using the Symfony serialization component.
* Added a Hypertext Application Language (HAL) serialization module.
* Added a HTTP Basic authentication provider module.